Chocolate, Basil & Banana Bonbons
I recently saw a recipe for chocolate banana bonbons but couldn’t remember where. I do recall though that the process required melting the milk chocolate and then freezing the bonbons. The cover to the bananas was simply chocolate (I used dark instead of milk) and almonds that I decided to substitute with walnuts. I also added basil to the recipe. Chocolate and basil go well together since the smokiness of the dark chocolate combined with this herb create a delicious fragrant bite. For my son I made simple chocolate bonbons without adding nuts or basil and he absolutely loved it.
Opt out of using a microwave when melting the chocolate because it burns easily. Melting the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water doesn’t take as long as one would think and you can do something else in the kitchen while this takes place. Just make sure to stir occasionally so that all the chocolate pieces melt smoothly. Small unwanted pieces of burnt chocolate on your bonbons will surely dampen this delicate dessert.
The bonbons look lovely on a tray with perhaps tooth picks and shreds of basil and walnuts sprinkled around for decoration. Just make sure the heat in your home is not too high or these babies will melt fairly quickly. If melting happens just pop the bonbons in the freezer for a few minutes and they will regain their composure.
- 3 bananas ripe but firm
- 8 ounces semisweet dark chocolate chopped
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped
- Line baking sheet with wax paper
- Peel bananas and cut into ½ inch rounds
- In a bowl set over a pan with barely simmering water, melt chocolate stirring occasionally. When chocolate is smooth remove pan from heat leaving bowl in water to keep chocolate warm
- Drop one piece of banana at a time into chocolate and coat well using a fork to lift out and place on baking sheet. Repeat this step for each banana round.
- Sprinkle walnuts and basil over chocolate bonbons
- Place bonbons in freezer for 15-20 minutes until chocolate is hardened
- Serve immediately or keep in air tight container in freezer for up to 1 week