Chocolate Covered Nuts & Coconut Bits
I am crazy about dark chocolate, nuts and coconuts. So why not put them all together? My local Whole Foods makes chocolate covered clusters that you can buy in bulk for about $18.99 a pound. I know it’s expensive but this is because the mix includes sprouted nuts, raisins, blueberries, coconut bits and chocolate. I figured why not try to make my own home version with a good dark unsweetened chocolate and about two cups of whatever I had on hand?
Super snack attack? No need to feel guilty with these treats unless you throw down too many of them. Nuts are to be eaten in small batches otherwise you’ll just feel weighted down. This is a great snack for kids as well and you can sneak in protein and energy all at the same time. Unfortunately my toddler is still too small to give him nuts but I’ll pick out the coconut flakes, date pieces and raisins and he will be thrilled.
- 2 cups mix of raisins, walnuts, almonds, goji berries, date pieces and coconut flakes (or use whatever you have on hand and toss it together)
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened dark chocolate
- Place wax paper on baking sheet
- Spread nut and coconut mix on baking sheet
- In a small sauce pan add coconut oil and melt over the lowest heat
- Add coconut sugar and dissolve with a small spoon
- Add dark chocolate to coconut/sugar mixture and gently swirl around lifting pan about an inch of the flame while chocolate melts. Stir chocolate as necessary with a spoon making sure it does not stick to the bottom and burn
- Turn flame off and quickly pour chocolate over nut and coconut mix tossing gently with a fork covering mixture well with chocolate
- Let mixture set until chocolate is hard for an hour or two gently tossing every half hour
- Keep in an airtight container until serving